Financial Services Section, Finance Branch, Office of the Secretary General.
The Financial Services Section (FSV) is comprised of the Budget (BUD) and the Payroll (PAY) Units. BUD is responsible for the development of the Draft Regular Budget and other budget proposals and the management of approved budget, including allotment and expenditure controls. In addition, BUD is also responsible for the management and expenditure control of certain special funds and extra-budgetary funds. PAY is responsible for the calculation, verification and payment of salaries, allowances and various grants and subsidies to all staff members and field experts as well as preparing various required statements.
The incumbent reports directly to the Chief, Financial Services Section (C/FSV) with whom s/he consults on issues related to the budget and payroll and will provide instructions on special tasks. Heads of Budget and Payroll offices will provide instructions on operational day-to-day tasks.
Coordinates and assists in the administrative work of the Financial Services Section, achieving results such as:
- Monitor the work plan and schedule for working papers and other required documentation, in coordination with Unit heads and C/FSV in advance of sessions of Council and the Finance Committee (FIC) to ensure timely production and distribution.
- Coordinate and manage the input and receipt of all items concerning budget and payroll items, by monitoring deadlines and completion of tasks, including those relating to the External Auditors and other UN Organizations.
- Review, proofread, as well as edit, documentation to ensure submissions are in accordance with requirements set out by the Governing Bodies.
- Conduct quality reviews of working papers and reports to ensure high quality in terms of accuracy, completeness and adherence to ICAO procedural guidelines/standards.
- Provide full support in the background research and compilation of relevant documentation for reference and assist in the preparation of working papers for FIC, Council and Assembly.
- Assist in the coordination, preparation and issuance of Staff Notices including the submission to languages for timely translation and distribution.
- Liaise with the DMO and Language Processing Unit for timely translation and issuance of budget-related documents.
- Transfer, route and track files as well as pick-up and hand delivery of highly confidential files that may be needed.
- Provide support to the Personal Associate of C/FIN as needed.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Serves as focal point for triennium budget preparation, achieving results such as:
- Coordinate with the Head of Budget Unit on the flow of information to the Office of the Secretary General, Managers and Governing Bodies relating to the preparation of the triennium budget.
- Compile and keep record of submissions of data inputs and information from all Offices during budget preparation.
- Maintain and update a schedule of tasks required by BUD related to all aspects of the preparation of the triennium budget.
- Serve as focal point for the Assembly-Administrative Committee’s Budget Working Group, as necessary.
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Monitors and assists with the control of expenditure and commitments, achieving results such as:
- Maintain expenditure control for various expenditures and commitments to ensure that approved allotments and/or funds (Non-Regular Budget) are not exceeded.
- Process travel authorization requests (missions) and meeting allotment requests, ensuring proper coding and respecting allotment ceilings.
- Provide information on recorded expenditures, commitments and availability of funds to Managers and designated staff.
- Generate queries and reports from Agresso in response to requests for information from within FIN as well as other Offices of the Organization and other entities.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Serves as human resources focal point for the FSV, achieving results such as:
- Monitor FSV staff members’ contractual information and initiating contract renewal process.
- Administer independent contractual arrangements for FSV consultants, including preparation, processing and follow-up on requisitions and Annexes. Monitor and verify timesheets of consultants, calculating accurate payments and process payments accordingly.
- Review and edit job descriptions submitted by FSV to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Provide administrative support in the preparation of HR-related documents often of a confidential nature.
- Act as focal point for the record-keeping of FSV staff members’ attendance.
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other duties in the Budget/Payroll Office, achieving results such as:
- Responsible for monitoring BUD inbox during absence of Budget Assistant.
- Compile, maintain and update relevant reference items and procedural documentation for the Budget Unit.
- Ensure all allotment notifications and advisories are transmitted to Directors and Chiefs, including the beginning year allotments, revised allotments, requests for savings and requests for carryover projects and, in the case of the latter two, maintaining a database of requests and approvals.
- Ensure requests for extracts, reports and other information are assigned and follow-up to ensure replies are sent and deadlines are met.
- Prepare year-end statements for SSA consultants, as requested in coordination with Accounts Payable Unit.
- Maintain and coordinate EU grant applications/specific agreements with respective bureaus/offices. Liaise with bureaus/offices and Office of the EU in Montreal.
- Assist with proofreading, editing and updating budget documents.
- Maintain the list of Certifying Officers and Allotment Managers.
Function 6 (incl. Expected results)
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Professionalism: Sound knowledge of the rules, regulations and procedures of ICAO; familiarization with the ICAO internal processes; ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions with strong analytical, proofreading, drafting and editing skills; a basic knowledge of finance; skill in the use of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). ability to handle highly confidential matters and act with discretion. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- A Diploma of College Studies (DEC) or equivalent education.
- At least six (6) years’ of relevant administrative experience is required.
- Experience in using common desktop applications such as Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook is required.
- Three (3) years of relevant administrative experience with the Organization at increasing levels of responsibility.
- Experience in using Agresso, Electronic Documents and Enquiry Network (EDEN)/Hummingbird is desirable.
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
- A working knowledge of any other language of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Please note that this is a locally-recruited position and restricted to Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada and applicants with a work permit.
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of two years (first year is probationary for an external candidate).
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization within the duty station.
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. In this connection, ICAO has incorporated the 2013 Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service into the ICAO Personnel Instructions.
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC).
The statutory retirement age for staff entering or re-entering service after 1 January 2014 is 65. For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete a term of appointment will normally be considered.
Remuneration: Level Net Base Salary per annum
G-6 CAD $44,077
United Nations Considerations
In accordance with ICAO Staff Regulations, the paramount consideration in the employment of the staff is the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, competence, and integrity. Due regard shall be paid to the importance of recruiting staff on as wide a geographical basis as possible and ensuring equal gender representation. Subject to the foregoing, selection of staff members shall be made without distinction as to race, sex or religion, nor shall there be any discrimination on account of any disability of a candidate who meets the qualifications required to perform the tasks. Unless otherwise permitted under the ICAO Staff Regulations, appointment and promotion of staff members shall be made on a competitive basis.
Candidates will not be considered for employment with ICAO if they have committed violations of international human rights law, violations of international humanitarian law, sexual exploitation, sexual abuse, or sexual harassment, or if there are reasonable grounds to believe that they have been involved in the commission of any of these acts.
Candidates who have committed crimes other than minor traffic offences may not be considered for employment.
Applicants are urged to follow carefully all instructions available in the online recruitment platform, Inspira. For more detailed guidance, applicants may refer to the Manual for the Applicant, which can be accessed by clicking on “Manuals” hyper-link on the upper right side of the Inspira account-holder homepage.
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted on the basis of the information submitted in the application according to the evaluation criteria of the job opening and the applicable Staff Regulations and Rules, administrative issuances and guidelines. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications according to the instructions provided in Inspira to be considered for the current job opening. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
Job openings advertised in Inspira will be removed at 11:59 p.m. (New York time) on the deadline date.
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the recruitment process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.
To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover//motivation letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.