VACANCY AVAILABLE: One
DEPARTMENT: School of Medicine (SoM) – Preclinical Department
JOB FAMILY: Academic
TYPE OF CONTRACT: PTE
HOURS OF WORK: 3 days per week
PLACE OF WORK: University of Kurdistan Hewlêr – Academic Hospital
REPORTING TO: Dean of the School
APPOINTMENT DURATION: 1 Year
PROBATION: 3 months
Academic departments of the University are established, governed and managed within the framework of its Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations.
Within this framework, the Director of Preclinical department is responsible to the Dean of the School, to provide academic leadership, to encourage excellence in teaching and research and to manage and develop the department, its staff and its activities through the most efficient and cost effective use of resources. The Director also represent their clinical divisions to the University in the development of the University’s strategic plans and policies. The formal duties of the Director flow from this legislative structure and include the following responsibilities for academic & clinical leadership, decision-making and for managing people and resources:
- Development and implementation of a departmental strategic plan consistent with the University’s strategic plan;
- Maintaining and improving the reputation of their discipline and department at national and international levels;
- Promoting and strengthening research activity, including advising and supporting staff and maintaining a personal research profile;
- Ensuring high quality teaching by application of the University’s quality assurance procedures for course design, delivery, assessment and evaluation and for maintaining student records;
- Identifying and exploiting areas of growth and income generation;
- Ensuring that effective consultation takes place with students and staff;
- Representing the Department’s views and interests to the Academic Board and to external bodies;
- Engage in continuing professional development to ensure adequate management skills;
- Managing and developing staff through quality recruitment, induction, appraisal, training and development, performance management, attendance (including sickness absence management and industrial action) and in the operation of grievance and disciplinary procedures;
- Ensuring effective communication between students, staff and others and ensuring dissemination of and compliance with the University’s policies, systems and procedures;
- Ensuring fair application of academic disciplinary procedures;
- Ensuring effective control and management of budgets and expenditure and ensuring compliance with the University’s Financial Regulations;
- Ensuring that systems exist to collect and provide management information as required in support of the above;
- Responsibility to the Dean for the efficient and effective management of the Department;
- Responsibility for decision-making and management structures to be followed by all members of the Department;
- Responsibility for ensuring high standards of teaching and student support;
- Responsibility for building a close working relationship with the Dean of the Schools, Directors, Chair of Departments to ensure compliance with and support for University policies in the areas of access, undergraduate and postgraduate studies, and research and development;
- Leadership in all aspects of Departmental strategic planning and enterprise;
- Responsibility for ensuring that the administrative and procedural requirements necessary for the functioning of the University are thoroughly understood, and where appropriate, carried out speedily and efficiently;
- Responsibility for supporting and implementing the Design, Approval and Evaluation Process which seeks to ensure that admissions processes, course design, approval and review mechanisms, teaching styles and assessment all contribute to high academic standards;
- Responsibility for all the processes which flow from the implementation of the Higher Degree Regulations;
- Plan, develop, and deliver Undergraduate and Postgraduate modules in areas relating to all the medical divisions related to the preclinical department;
- Supervise Undergraduate and Postgraduate dissertations and/or projects relating to Medical Sciences, especially in the areas of specialisation;
- Develop new, and revise existing, Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs and modules to reflect latest developments in the subject areas;
- Supervising the preclinical training & hospital attendance for all the students of SoM, seniors in the preclinical divisions, & clinical teaching activities.
The position-holder is expected to have a strong record of published research in their field and considerable undergraduate and postgraduate teaching experience. They will possess most of the following qualities or have demonstrated strong potential to develop them.
- Relevant PhD
Years of Teaching Experience:
- Minimum 5 years in Higher Education
- to provide a vision and foster an appropriate culture for the department;
- to be proactive in its development and in the development of its staff.
- to motivate and to give clear and appropriate direction to staff;
- to evaluate performance;
- to provide support and advice;
- to handle conflict with impartiality;
- to address problems of performance or grievance promptly and positively.
- to act effectively as advocate and diplomat as required;
- to represent the views and interests of the department, internally and externally;
- to facilitate consultation and free flow of information.
- to prepare and manage annual budgets;
- to allocate resources efficiently and effectively;
- to control expenditure.
- to identify opportunities for growth and development;
- to negotiate the acquisition of resources;
- to foster links with current and potential clients and collaborators.
HOW TO APPLY
- Interested applicants are requested to email their Application Form, CV, and Personal Statement to [email protected] by indicating the specific Vacancy Title: Director of Preclinical Department and inserting the most recent passport size photo in the area provided on the application form.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & personal statement where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.
- Only complete applications: Application Form (with the most recent photo), Personal Statement and CV will be considered.
- Size of the photo must be 45mm x 35mm with no less than 150 pixels for the quality.
- Any application that does not specify the vacancy applied for will not be considered.
- An Application Form is available at ‘Vacancies’ on the University website
- Only short listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.