AUK invites applicants for a full-time faculty position in Interior Design at the Department of Interior Design in the College of Arts and Science. AUK is a newly established public, not-for-profit, special status institution committed to advancing academic excellence, expanding liberal, professional, and scientific knowledge and preparing the next generation of leaders for the community. AUK envisions becoming the leading academic institution in the autonomous Kurdistan Region of Iraq and beyond through implementing pedagogical approaches that impact critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork and the lifelong learning skills required for success in contemporary society and workplaces.
This position reports directly to the Chair of Department of Interior Design.
AUK invites applications for this faculty position starting the beginning of spring semester 2020 in January.
We are seeking to appoint a motivated and suitably qualified academic/practitioner with expertise in the field of Interior Design. The successful applicant will join a vibrant team and help shape the development of our educational and professional course provision in this exciting area. The following are the main responsibilities:
- Facilitate student learning, provide effective instruction, and perform evaluations of student learning for all assigned classes, using each course’s standard course outline as a guide.
- Develop course curriculum, course handouts, lectures, labs, and presentations.
- Participate in program level learning assessment.
- Implement the AUK provisions and regulations on Quality Assurance (QA) and Institutional Academic Effectiveness (IAE) for enhancing student’s learning outcomes.
- Work with other faculty and administrators in developing program curriculum, standards, and policies, including reviewing and participating in textbook selection process where appropriate.
- Schedule, supervise, debrief, and evaluate students in clinical, internship, observation, field experience, and similar settings as appropriate for the course or program.
- Be available to students via email, phone, or personal conferences.
- Assign grades and maintain course/student records in accordance with FERPA regulations and submit grades and records by established deadlines.
- Meet all classes and other scheduled responsibilities such as office hours and meetings at the designated times. Post and keep on campus hours to facilitate interaction with students, other faculty, staff, administrators, and the public.
- Keep a flexible weekly schedule that best facilitates student learning and access. Help students achieve their educational goals through formal and/or informal advising.
- Serve on standing and ad hoc committees, advisory boards, hiring committees, faculty senate, or as a student organization advisor.
- Attend local, regional, state, or national meetings where required or necessary for the discipline.
- Mentor and/or assist in orienting new faculty either formally or informally and serve as a liaison for Early College Experience faculty.
- Attend commencement or other ceremonies appropriate to the faculty member’s discipline or program.
- Attend departmental, divisional, and college-wide meetings and participate in faculty business meetings and forums.
- Perform other academically related duties as assigned by the instructor’s supervisor.
- Participate in faculty evaluation process.
- Take part in research activities.
- Receive training or stay current in technological or pedagogical advances that promote student learning.
- Participate in college professional development activities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- A PhD Degree in Interior Design or architecture from a reputable university.
- At least 2 – 5 years’ experience in an academic, practitioner and / or consultant linked to Interior Design.
- Demonstrated ability to teach in one or more of the following areas: Spatial Interior Design, Drawing, Graphics, Materials and Resources, 3D Design, Design Studio, Textiles for Interior Design.
- Proficiency in 3D Studio Max, CAD and other pertinent 3D Design software.
- Demonstrate record or potential for research and publication in scholarly journals within the discipline
- Strong communication skills required to transfer the knowledge to the student body.
The Recruitment Committee will review applications on a rolling basis and will continue accepting applications until an appointment is made. To assure full consideration, applications should be received as soon as possible and include:
- A cover letter
- A resume
- Three reference letters
References will not be contacted without prior authorization from the applicant. Applications and nominations should be sent electronically with the subject “Assistant/Associate Professor of Interior Design” to Human Resources ([email protected]).
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email & cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.