Title: Country Director
Deadline: February 25, 2020
Location: Field based position in Erbil, Kurdistan, Iraq
Organization: Joint Development Associates International
Term: 12 – 18 months with possible extension
Work experience: From 8 years
Date posted: February 04, 2020
Expected starting date: Early 2020
About the Organization
Joint Development Associates International (JDA) is a non-profit organization established to challenge and equip emerging nations to build a foundation for the future and meet the needs of their people. We believe each person has unique creative abilities to make a difference in their lives, in their families, in their communities and in their nation, and we seek to empower these individuals and communities to tap into this creative potential by facilitating community projects through organizational and technical support.
JDA’s effectiveness in its development work has been based on the networks and partnerships developed by its founder and president, and through the experienced personnel that he has brought in through 25 years of program activity in Uzbekistan, Afghanistan and Iraq. JDA continues to work with government agencies and local and international NGOs through smart partnerships in providing hands-on training and solutions to help rural communities in need.
Role & Responsibilities
The Country Director oversees all program and support activities in country. Representing JDA in all issues relating to the country program, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers, and ensures constructive engagement in JDA’s regional approach for the Middle East.
RIVAL (Returnees, IDPs and Vulnerable Iraqis Attain Livelihoods) is a two-year livelihoods program funded by the US State Department’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration (PRM) and implemented by ZOA (Dutch NGO) and JDA. As agriculture plays a key role in the livelihoods of the target beneficiaries, the program focuses on rebuilding the agricultural activities in the targeted villages as a backbone of sustainable re-settlement of beneficiaries. The program will also rehabilitate homes in a Telkaif district community and improve the socio-economic status of vulnerable groups of IDPs, returnees and host community members in Telkaif in Ninawa and Sumel in Dahuk through the provision of emergency livelihood opportunities. JDA’s role in RIVAL consists of 3 objectives with 6 various components reaching 2,000 Year 2 direct beneficiaries.
Qualification / Experience / Competencies
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and at least 8 years of demonstrated experience as a team leader/senior manager of multi-sectoral, multi-donor, multi-partner funded program portfolio (or equivalent).
- Prior experience in setting country level strategy with annual implementation plans and resource managing towards the strategy.
- Demonstrated track record of successful business development in multiple sectors that includes securing new sources of funding and leverages professional networks to generate innovative responses to development that combine public, private and social sector actors and funders.
- Experience managing USAID contracts or cooperative agreements, as well as a thorough understanding of USAID business practices, required.
- Demonstrated experience/knowledge of leading or managing development programs in areas such as livelihoods, WASH, maternal, child health and nutrition, and agriculture.
- Understanding of and experience with a variety of donors including USAID, UN/UNDP, DfID, foundations, and other donor government agencies.
- Proven human resource and staff management skills and experience.
- Program management skills, as well as experience with establishing and maintaining operations systems (general management and administration).
- High level written and oral communications skills, including fluency in English.
- Ability and willingness to travel on short notice.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced leadership and management skills. Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritizing and delegating.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Before you apply
Please read and be fully aware of the following:
- JDA is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. JDA staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, JDA’s accountability policies and best practices.
- To apply, your updated CV and a cover letter should be submitted to: i[email protected] use Subject: Iraq Country Director
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail & cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.
Only English-language CVs will be reviewed.
Due to the high number of applications, we will only reply to shortlisted candidates.