INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Mission
Duty station: Erbil (70%), Baghdad (30%) , with regular presence in field offices
Starting date: 01/05/2021
Contract duration: 12 months
Reporting to: Regional Director for Middle East
Supervision of: Senior management team (SMT) members
Dependents: Accompanied Duty Station ( partner, no family)
General context of the project
As a frontline INGO, INTERSOS presence in Iraq will continue to be essential to deliver aid and to respond to acute humanitarian needs in both Federal Iraq and KRI and to address most pressing humanitarian needs in the following sectors: protection, education and health.
INTERSOS established its presence in KRI (Erbil Suleymanya) and in Federal Iraq from North (West Ninewa, Baa’j, Tel Afar, as well as East Ninewa in Mosul governorate) to the South (SAD governorate, Balad, Tikrit, Shirqat), focusing its intervention in and out of camps.
General purpose of the position
The Head of Mission represents the Organization in the country of assignment and is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications.
Main responsibilities and tasks
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
Communication and representation:
- Establish and maintain collaborative relations with Local Authorities and Institutions, Donors, International Agencies, NGOs and other stakeholders
- Follow up, guarantee and monitor government recognition procedures for the organization in compliance with the host country formalities
- monitor donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country as well as to map and approach new donors
Planning and implementation:
- Define country priorities based on context and needs analyses; monitor donor intervention strategies in the country; design, promote and elaborate new intervention.
- Assess, promote and submit new projects, following the procedures defined and promoting a spirit of participation among beneficiaries at all management stages, ensuring the transparency of the intervention
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the implementation of the country operations – and all related administrative, financial, human resources, logistics and security aspects – ensuring timely and quality assistance delivery, as well as cost efficiency and accountability, in compliance with INTERSOS and donors guidelines, regulations and procedures
Information and Reporting:
- Continuously assess, analyze and evaluate the impact of the country operations, also through periodic visits to the areas of intervention
- Define the mission financial plan, ensuring self-sufficiency and consistency of expenses, and assume responsibility for the mission funds management, including bank account
- Coordinate, guide and supervise the mission staff, and evaluate their performance.
- To ensure the respect for the values, Code of Ethics and Organization Management and Control Model of INTERSOS within the mission
- Ensure personnel compliance with procedures foreseen by INTERSOS’ Organization Management and Control Model
- Proactively participate in relevant coordination meetings
- Validation of all the mission security plans (Capital and projects)
- Interaction on the Country security issues with HQ (Security Referent) and relevant actors
- To hold final responsibility for any decision concerning security
Required profile and experience
- Post-graduate or professional qualification, in development, humanitarian, management or related subjects;
- Security training.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of relevant working experience in Senior Management Position (CD/HoM), and in Humanitarian Emergency context.
- Extensive experience working at a senior management level in medium to large-scale programmes in the humanitarian sector; knowledge of and experience in the Middle East context highly desirable.
- Proven record of solid programme management skills.
- Demonstrated skills in people and financial management, as well as previous experience working in environments that require sensitivity and relationship-building skills.
- Extensive experience in networking, representation and liaison capacity, as well as strategic vision and leadership.
- Demonstrate commitment towards diversity, equality and inclusion.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Italian and/or Arabic is an asset
- Strong people management and capacity to build and lead a multicultural team
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and ability to work and integrate in a multicultural team
- Problem solver, dynamic, mature
- Confidently able to deal with authorities and donors
- Pro-active approach to work
- Able to work independently and under high pressure
- Flexibility, capacity of managing stress, good diplomatic skills
- Available to share accommodation facilities when required
- European Driving license B “desirable
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below:
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to [email protected], with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-29-1815 – Head of Mission”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.
- To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.