The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) is an international, non-partisan, non-profit organizationthat supports citizens’ right to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by:
- Providing technical assistance to election officials
- Empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process
- Applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle
Since 1987, IFES has provided assistance in 145 countries and it currently has programs in over 20 countries throughout Asia-Pacific, Africa, Eurasia, the Middle East and North Africa, and the Americas.
About IFES’ Iraq Program:
Since 2003, IFES has provided technical electoral assistance to Iraqi authorities and civil society stakeholders. IFES has provided advice to these stakeholders on incorporating electoral processes into Iraq’s post-conflict transition and establishing a legal and institutional framework for elections, including the creation of an independent election body.
The overall objective of IFES’s current electoral assistance program is to support the Independent High Elections Commission (IHEC) in planning and conducting credible elections and ensuring integrity of the electoral process. IFES Iraq Provincial Election Activity (IPEA) project provides technical and operational assistance to the IHEC as it prepares for the conduct of upcoming provincial elections scheduled for April 2020.
IFES seeks a senior election operations expert to advise the IHEC on preparations and conduct of electoral operations such as voter registration, elections planning, staff training, general and special voters polling procedures, elections technology solutions for electoral operations, elections security, and post-elections activities. This is anticipated to be a 2-3 month consultancy based in Baghdad with occasional in-country travel.Job Responsibilities:
- Provide technical advice, recommendations, and on-the-job training on electoral operations planning, procedures, and implementation based on international standards, best practices and comparative analysis;
- Develop and conduct trainings for the IHEC staff members on election operational issues as identified by the IHEC;
- Review and assist with drafting of electoral regulations and procedures related to election operations as requested by the IHEC;
- Advise the IHEC on new technology solutions for electoral operations focusing on voter registration, voting, counting, and results transmitting systems; Advise and assist the IHEC with the development of contingency plans as needed;Identify new approaches and modalities that are adaptable to achieve established targets;
- Liaise as necessary with international and national technical advisors and experts, the IHEC’ technical subcontractors, and civil society organizations in consultation with the IFES Iraq Country Director and/or IFES HQ;
- Contribute to project reporting, presentations and briefings to relevant stakeholders and donors as needed. Qualifications:
- Minimum of ten years of relevant work experience directly related to election administration and operations; with minimum 5 years of experience in working in international environments preferably in Iraq or the MENA region;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Political Science, International Development, International Law or other relevant discipline; Masters preferred.
- Experience in providing specialized technical assistance, capacity building, and training on electoral operations to stakeholders;
- Experience in advising national electoral authorities on elections planning and operations;
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues and challenges of the existing electoral system in Iraq;
- Written and spoken Arabic language skills desired.
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”
- [email protected]
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your e-mail where you saw this posting (vacanciesiniraq.com)