NRC currently has more than 2,000 staff in the Middle East region assisting people displaced by conflict in Syria . As a leading humanitarian organization, we support displaced persons by implementing programmes across the Shelter, Education, Food Security, Information Counseling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sectors with strong protection and resilience focus integrated into our programmes.
The Syrian Crisis is in its ninth year, but the level and intensity of conflict in the country remains high. Humanitarian and protection needs are overwhelming. According to OCHA, 11.1 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance inside of Syria and millions have been forced to flee. Approximately 6.1 million people in Syria are living in protracted displacement. Most IDPs have sought refuge with host families and in abandoned or unfinished buildings, which are often overcrowded. Elsewhere, they reside in tents or makeshift accommodation in informal settlements and camps. 3.7 million school-aged children are in need of support and 2.1 million are out of school and disconnected from learning and their peers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Development and implementation of the NRC Security Management System at area level.
- Conduct Security Risk Analysis (SRA) according to minimum operational requirements (MOSS).
- Minimize security risks to the operations of NRC.
- Technical management of security staff. We will review applications on an ongoing basis, interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
- Support, training, control and development of security staff in all offices.
- Prepare reports as required.
- Communicate and cooperate with relevant external security actors.
- Train and develop staff in safety and security.
- Work closely in conjunction with the Area Manager, security & liaison staff in the field and SRO’s Risk & Security Adviser to ensure safety and access are duly factored into programmatic as well as operational planning, decision-making and implementation.
- Develop and maintain updated security protocols for staff and operations inside Syria. Ensure that minimum compliance standards are met and that the documents are relevant to the context and updated (including Duty of care for staff; hibernation plans; Proof of Life procedures; Fire Safety Plans; critical incident management protocol; informed consent etc.).
- Facilitate information management and dissemination amongst others through weekly context updates as well as ad-hoc security notices.
- Provide quantitative and qualitative data to programme and support staff regularly and upon request.
- Liaise with other research, analysis, and security professionals insofar as is necessary to support contextual analysis and security advice.
- Ensure full compliance with all aspects of NRC Global and Syria-specific security and Duty of Care policies, protocols and guidelines.
- Regular reporting to Area Manager/ SRO Risk & Security Adviser and provision of qualitative and quantitative inputs and ad-hoc assigned tasks.
- Support area management team as well as staff on crisis management, incident management and post incident management.
- Support, training and development of security staff in all offices.
Knowledge, skills and experience that will help you succeed in this role
- Minimum 5 years of experience from working as a Senior Security Advisor in a humanitarian/recovery context or in a hostile environment
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Context related skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in the Middle East
- Knowledge of Arabic desirable
- Handling insecure environments
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
-Contract period: 12 months
-Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s salary scale and terms and conditions
-Duty station: Erbil, Iraq, with 20% travel within Syria Response Office area of operations
We will review applications on an ongoing basis, interested candidates are encouraged to apply early.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/nonprofitjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.