Starting date: May 2020
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Country Programme: Syria and Iraq
Base: Erbil, Iraq with travels within the region
Line Manager: Head of Systems and Operations
Note: due to current worldwide travel restrictions connected to Covid-19, different scenarios could be discussed regarding expected starting date or initial remote involvement from your current home base
About the mission:
PIN has been working in Northern Syria since 2012, providing emergency relief and early recovery support to conflict-affected communities. Programmes for conflict-affected communities in Syria focus mainly on Emergency Food Assistance, WASH, and Education, in addition to Early Recovery and Livelihoods activities. PIN’s contribution to the Syria humanitarian response is amongst the largest, with an annual turnover of over $30 million, engaging over 350 full- time staff members across Northern Syria and cross-border response hubs in neighbouring countries.
About the role:
With guidance and supervision from the Head of Systems and Operations and in coordination with the Area Directors (North-West Syria, North-East Syria, Iraq) and other senior management staff, the Regional HR Manager will have a key role in leading the HR teams to be able to recruit the right staff, retain and develop talent, and to build systems that are able to provide colleagues with adequate staff care and capacity building, as well as strengthen awareness, accountability and professionalism among staff. The Regional HR Manager will have a wide thematic area of responsibility covering all aspects of HR. S/he will ensure that appropriate HR procedures and processes, in line with PIN’s and donor guidelines, are in place and unified across all offices of PIN’s Syria and Iraq Response.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Head of Systems and Operations with developing and implementing all human resources and administrative policies and procedures, and their standardization across all offices;
- Supervise a team of HR Officers and Assistants, and carry out daily formal meetings with the team and assess their performance and outputs;
- Ensure implementation of relevant national and international staff policies and their implementation by the HR teams, including provision of training for new staff, managing recruitments, orientations, benefits, probation evaluations, performance reviews, leaves, disciplinary actions and separation from employment;
- Become the focal person for all recruitments; developing job descriptions, creating vacancy announcements, coordinating interviews, conducting references checks, and formulating offer letters and employment contracts along with the Administrative Assistant and HR Officers/Assistants;
- Carry out post-employment functions, such as collecting hiring forms and personal employee data, conducting orientations and trainings, and coordinating the probation evaluation process along with the HR Officers and Assistants;
- Coordinate the bi-annual performance review process by sending out self-evaluations, supervisor performance evaluations and recommendations for adjustments to ensure that all salary and benefits adjustments are carried out in an accurate and timely fashion;
- Maintain the integrity of the staff personnel files by storing them in a confidential manner and ensuring that all documentation is available and up-to-date;
- Review the staff monthly time sheets and verify that all information recorded is accurate before sending the payroll to the Finance team for salary payments;
- Keep abreast of any changes in Turkish / Iraqi / Syrian labour laws and work with the Liaison Officer(s) in ensuring that all visas and work permits are obtained and renewed in a timely manner;
- Train and supervise any newly hired HR Officers/Assistants in carrying out all human resources and administrative duties;
- Conduct annual salary surveys ensuring that PIN is competitive with other NGOs operating in the Whole of Syria and Iraqi context;
- Perform all other human resources and administrative tasks deemed necessary for the smooth running of the human resources office with the direction of the Head of Systems and Operations.
Suitable candidates for this position should possess:
- Minimum 3-year work experience as an HR Manager, preferably in a humanitarian/development context
- Experience from strategic HR initiatives such as re-structuring/change management/scale up is an advantage
- Experience with team management and supervision, and interest in building the capacity of national teams
- Excellent communication skills, including fluent spoken and written English
- Strong organizational, critical analysis and problem solving skills
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts, including familiarity with the humanitarian context of Syria or the Middle East context, would be an advantage
People in Need offers:
- Working environment in a well-established and growing humanitarian organization
- Salary and benefits according to PIN salary scale and HR policies, starting salary 3,000 EUR
- Accommodation in PIN guesthouse on PIN expense
- Performance related bonuses paid half yearly based on standard evaluation process
- 25 days of paid leave annually
- Reimbursement of travel expenses with travel to the country of residence once per every 6 months of completed work with travel benefit in the form of additional two regional flight tickets per year
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations; assistance with visa application procedure
- Free medical helpdesk and psychological consultation available on line; travel health insurance
How to Apply
- Are you interested in this position? Send us your CV and short cover letter via this link. Please note only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis and the vacancy will be closed when filled.
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.
People in Need staff are expected to perform job duties and responsibilities in accordance with People in Need Code of conduct and key policies (available at: www.peopleinneed.cz/policies).