AT OXFAM, WE WON’T LIVE WITH POVERTY.
Together we can end extreme poverty for good. Will you join us?
Closing date: – 21st April 2021 – Midnight
Interview date: – TBC
Vacancy reference: – INT7439 – POLICY COORDINATOR
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
Oxfam is a global movement of people who won’t live with the injustice of poverty. Together we save and rebuild lives in disasters. We help people build better lives for themselves. We speak out on the big issues that keep people poor, like inequality, discrimination against women and climate change. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can live without poverty.
Oxfam GB is a member of the international confederation Oxfam.
The function of the Policy, Advocacy and Communications (PAC) team is to support and promote our program portfolio and advocacy objectives in Iraq.
Working closely with our local and national partners as well as the global Oxfam confederation, the PAC team works with colleagues across 8 offices in Iraq to develop advocacy, comms and policy initiatives that support the core areas of our work.
To develop and promote policy and research for Oxfam in Iraq and its national NGO partners, to support advocacy, fundraising and programs. Adapt and develop policy positions to support advocacy and influence a wide range of audiences, local, national and international.
|Location:||Based in Erbil with frequent travel (as much as 50%) to other programme offices (Baghdad, Ramadi, Tikrit, Kalar, Khanaqin, Kirkuk and Mosul)|
|As per Oxfam Salary Scale
|Contract type:||Fixed term|
|Hours of work:||40 hours per week. This is a full-time role; however, Oxfam offers various flexible arrangements which candidates can discuss with the Recruiting Manager at interview stage|
|This role reports to:||Policy, Advocacy, and Communications Manager|
|Staff reporting to this post:||None|
|Annual budget for the post:||N/A|
|Key relationships/interactions:||Policy, Advocacy, and Communications team in Oxfam, thematic programme leads, DCD Programmes, Head of Programme, national NGO partners, policy staff in other INGOs, research institutions, Oxfam Rights in Crisis network|
|DBS checks (for roles based in the UK):||N/A|
|Screening checks:||All successful candidates will be screened through Refinitiv World-Check One to comply with counter terrorism and financial sanctions regulations.|
- To produce or commission and manage high quality policy and research content to support Oxfam advocacy, fundraising and programmes.
- Work closely with local, regional and international colleagues in the Oxfam Confederation to develop and influence policy dialogue around priority issues.
- Develop regular policy/position papers of relevance to Oxfam work in Iraq for a range of audiences.
- Provide regular analysis of Government of Iraq and Kurdistan Regional Government policies, regulations, and legislation as it relates to Oxfam influencing and programmatic priorities.
- Work with Oxfam’s national NGO partners to support their own policy development, or to involve them in the development of Oxfam policy papers.
- Support development of content for communications and media.
- Identify opportunities to promote Oxfam policy, research and comms content to relevant stakeholders – local, national and international. For example, policy makers, parliamentarians, think tanks, media, and other influencers both in Iraq and globally.
- Support the development of policy work that connects with Oxfam’s regional and global priorities, in line with Oxfam’s Global Strategic Framework and other strategies.
- Attend and represent Oxfam at relevant policy (and other) forums, and directly to relevant stakeholders in coordination with the department Manager and Country Director.
- Build relationships with policy and communications colleagues in other organizations (eg. NGOs, UN agencies, civil society, donors) to coordinate and collaborate on initiatives.
- Ensure representation of Oxfam’s programmes, activities and research within the Oxfam Confederation.
- Proactively identify relevant policy positions/ issues that Oxfam should lead/support.
- Promote and live Oxfam values within your work, the team, and the Oxfam country office
- Lead on policy and research development for the Oxfam country programme.
- Work with the PAC Manager and Oxfam Country Director to identify policy areas to prioritise in Oxfam advocacy and programmes.
- Provide policy input into programme proposals to ensure that they are in line with Oxfam positions, priorities and values.
- Ensure streamlining of Oxfam policy positions across all programs in Iraq and share with the wider confederation. This will involve developing an adapting complex policy and development content for different target audiences.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Significant and relevant experience of developing and producing policy-oriented content.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills in English and Arabic.
- Strong writing and research skills, preferably with a history of writing policy, communications and research materials and the ability to produce high quality work within tight deadlines.
- Management of significant processes and relationships, particularly with colleagues in field offices and other teams, as well as external contacts and representation in external forums.
- The ability to analyse and communicate complex information to a wide range of audiences.
- Sound political judgement on issues of extreme sensitivity. Make decisions and solve problems on complex issues, requiring creative thinking to find best solutions and drawing on information from a variety of sources to inform decision making.
- Excellent teamwork skills and has experience working closely with programme teams, technical experts, partners and management to provide sound policy inputs/guidance.
- Strong organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in complex global networks of multi-national, multi-cultural teams and to develop good working relationships.
- Ability to model Oxfam’s values (empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness) with staff, partners, allies and other stakeholders.
- Knowledge of Iraqi socio-political context
- Previous policy and research experience
- Previous humanitarian or development experience
How To Apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up-to-date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
- For more details about this job, please visit the job advert using the below link:
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.