Who We Are
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front row seat to the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
The Program Officer leads the development and planning, implementation, financial management, and public outreach for the Preventing Radicalization to Violence through Women and Youth Integration (PRV-W) project and Tribal Reconciliation and Rule of Law Support in Anbar and Basra project. This position reports to the Program Manager, Iraq. The Program Officer will be based in Erbil with some travel to Anbar, Basra, and Karbala as needed.
This is a Personal Services Contractor position.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Projects Development, Planning, and Implementation:
- Leads the implementation of the PRV-W and the Tribal Reconciliation and Rule of Law Support in Anbar and Basra projects, and any necessary reviews or further development of the projects’ goals, objectives, operating plan, budget, etc.;
- Manages the day-to-day and planning operations of the projects;
- Manages relationships with key external partners regarding projects coordination and execution;
- Monitors and evaluates activities to meet program goals and objectives;
- Produces reports, presentations, and other written documents for internal and external stakeholders;
- Works with and provides regular project and contextual updates to the relevant program team members in country, regional, and headquarters offices;
- Provides technical support to staff and partners involved in the implementation of the projects;
- Manages the PRV-W and the Tribal Reconciliation and Rule of Law Support in Anbar and Basra projects budget to ensure that the projects are operating within its budget limitations in order to meet its goals and objectives;
- Public Outreach:
- Builds strategic partnerships and cultivates contacts with subject matter experts and a wide variety of external organizations to leverage resources and combine efforts to promote USIP program initiatives and goals;
- With approval from supervisor, attends and participates in various conferences, events, and other programs to speak on behalf of USIP on specific subject matter area of expertise;
- Provides, in coordination with the Country Manager, briefings to government and non-government organizations on key subject matter area;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The Program Officer supervises the Project Assistant and the Project Specialist.
- Master’s degree in international relations or related field or equivalent experience required.
- A minimum of six or more years of relevant professional experience required.
- Management and supervisory experience desired.
- Demonstrated experience on Iraq. Significant time working in the country or region is preferred.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills, as well as cross-cultural skills, media skills, and the ability to deal with counterparts on every political, social and economic level.
- Relevant knowledge of project and personnel management and capacity building approaches to local partners.
- Familiarity with drafting and negotiating proposals and writing reports for USG agencies.
- Knowledge of Technical expertise relevant to the region such as IDPs, stabilization, resilience, reconciliation, and capacity building approaches desired.
- Professional fluency in English language is required.
- Prior experience working in the MENA region a plus.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
Compensation is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, please submit a complete application package consisting of:
- Completed employment application including titles, dates of hire and salary history.
- Cover letter
For questions about this position please email [email protected]. Do not send resumes or attachments to this email address.
Only those applicants that are selected for further discussions will be contacted.
No Phone Calls. Interviews will be scheduled by appointment only.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/nonprofitjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.