GOAL Iraq Programme
|Job Title:||Team Leader (WFP)|
|Location:||Ninewa Governorate – Mosul District|
|Contract Duration:||8.5 Months|
|Reports to:||Project / Program Manager|
General Description of the Programme
Established in 1977, GOAL is an international humanitarian agency that works with poor and vulnerable communities to ensure that they have access to the fundamental rights of life, including but not limited to adequate food, shelter, water and sanitation, healthcare, education and economic opportunities. GOAL is a key Irish player in humanitarian emergency response and works to find lasting solutions to change the root causes of poverty and vulnerability. Throughout our history, GOAL has worked in over 60 countries and responded to almost every major humanitarian disaster since our inception. We are currently operational in 13 countries globally.
GOAL has supported conflict-affected populations in Iraq since 2015. Registered in both Baghdad and the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI), our Country Office is in Dohuk, with a sub-office in Mosul. The team implement programmes directly and via local partners. We focus on developing sustainable livelihoods and increasing household and community resilience. Specifically, GOAL aims to support sustainable, inclusive and stabilising change in Iraq by stimulating enterprise growth and agriculture production.
As Iraq moves towards a post-conflict environment, communities are increasingly focused on recovery, reconstruction and rehabilitation alongside building resilience. GOAL supports stabilisation through working with refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and host communities to build sustainable livelihoods and improve food security. With countrywide registration and national partners, GOAL is also well positioned to respond to urgent needs while Iraq remains susceptible to shocks.
The project under which the Team Leader would be recruited is a 8.5 months (March 15, 2020 – November 2020) WFP funded project in Ninewa Governorate (Mosul District) promoting employment generation through provision of Cash For Work opportunities and provision of Tools to the participants having extensive stakeholder consultation and ensuring women participation for delivering the required irrigation, infrastructure and renovation outputs for promoting Agricultural Livelihoods and building resilience.
Overview of the role
The Team Leader would lead the project and the project staff and will work under the direct supervision of the Project / Program Manager. The Team Leader will lead coordination with the local community, organize them across the project and capacitate them as also working with different stakeholders in implementing agricultural livelihood, provide cash for work around it, rehabilitate assets, and various value chains to promote sustainable livelihoods in post-conflict Iraq, whilst complimenting ongoing coordination efforts of the Extension Directorate of Agriculture (DoA) and the Water Resources Directorate in Ninawa.
- Manage the project team consisting of project officers and project assistant through-out the project cycle.
- Ensure that Implementation of Project is as per plan and budget.
- Make weekly, monthly, quarterly plans for the team and review them regularly.
- Plan and oversee logistic and procurement requirement, budget forecasting and request, general project quality oversight.
- Liaise with various stakeholders relevant for the project, improve communication with them and involve relevant stakeholders to the project activities.
- Finalize the projects under CFW that require rehabilitation and restoration.
- Define quality and work standards of the cash for work output deliverables.
- Ensure participation of the community by mobilizing the community into the project activities.
- Ensure selection of participants are based on the selection criteria and participation of the requisite number of women.
- Matching participants to the relevant CFW and ensuring application of safe work standards.
- Managing payment and the requirements around it for CFW as per prescribed standard.
- Manage distribution of tools, equipment and other assets as outlined in the project.
- Ensure organizing and regular participation of the community members engaged in the CFW.
- Develop and monitor the implementation of the sharing agreements amongst the green house owners.
- Ensure construction, rebuilding are up to the accepted quality standards set at the beginning of the project.
- Manage engagement of consultants, technical persons as required under the project.
- Compile work completion reports, assessments and submission.
- Ensure Project standards and objectives are met, quality of project delivery maintained,
- Prepare reports to be submitted to the donor, including best practices, success stories, project feedback, stakeholder accountability.
- Support the external evaluation of the project.
- Ensure all guidelines, principles and policies of GOAL and the donor are followed during project implementation.
- Mentor and keep the team motivated, delegate tasks and responsibilities as per workplan.
- Undertake other activities as advised by GOAL management team.
- Ensure project closing and handover.
- Coordinate with other support team and MEAL teams.
- Plan for evaluation and donor visits.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to GOAL and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements (Person Specification)
- University degree in a related field (civil engineering, agricultural engineering, agriculture etc).
- Must have at least 1 year of previous experience of leading project teams.
- Must have at least 2-year experience working in agricultural livelihood programming through Cash For Work activities.
- Must have previous experience in donor reporting.
- Must have knowledge of Project Management and Budget Management.
- Previously done Irrigational system, drainage renovation, setting up of greenhouses or other construction activities.
- Good level of technical planning and implementation.
- Good level of written and spoken English.
- Must be fluent in Arabic.
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail.
- The ideal candidates will respectively come from the geographic areas targeted and be a respected member of the community.
- Understanding of labour market interventions.
General terms and conditions
Children and vulnerable adults a must be safeguarded to the maximum possible extent from deliberate or inadvertent actions and failings that place them at risk of abuse, sexual exploitation, injury and any other harm. One of the ways that GOAL shows this on-going commitment to safeguarding is to include rigorous background and reference checks in the selection process for all candidates.
Accountability within GOAL
Alongside our safeguarding policy, GOAL is an equal opportunities employer and has a set of integrity policies. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to the following key areas of accountability:
- Comply with GOAL’s policies and procedures with respect to safeguarding, Code of Conduct, health and safety, data protection and confidentiality, do no harm principles and unacceptable behaviour protocols.
- Report any concerns about the welfare of a child or vulnerable adult or any wrongdoings within our programming area.
- Report any concerns about inappropriate behaviour of a GOAL staff or partner.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/nonprofitjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to submit an application as early as possible.