About Human Appeal
Human Appeal International (HA) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organisation working in 25 countries around the world since 1991. Human Appeal aims to alleviate poverty, transform and empower local communities whilst championing humanity, impartiality, neutrality, and independence.
Human Appeal’s staff embody our organizational values of excellence, accountability and transparency, compassion, empowerment, and trust and respect.
Human Appeal is a British INGO that provides emergency aid and services to people affected by the conflicts in Iraq. Human Appeal Iraq is one of the leading INGOs responding to the Mosul crisis. HA works in a variety of sectors which include; Food security and livelihoods, Protection, Shelter. Human Appeal is working in partnerships with UNDP,UNICEF WFP etc.
Position Title: Protection Coordinator
Base: Iraq, Erbil
Reports to: Head of Programmes
Responsible for: Protection Team leaders, Reporting Officer
Contract Duration: 31st December 2020
Application Closing date: 22nd Feb 2020
Salary Range: $3800 – $4300
Life and Emergency Insurance: Covered
The Protection Coordinator will have overall field oversight for all Protection programmes (Child Protection and legal protection) in all governorates in Iraq that Human Appeal is operating in.He or she will not only ensure a timely delivery of the protection Programme in tandem with HA Protection guidelines and Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) but also provide specialist support on humanitarian protection and safe programming in pursuit of quality and excellence.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Coordinates and delivers agreed plan, have some strategic input and shape the Protection programme objectives.
· Represent HA and actively participate in regional and local coordination, working/sub Protection working groups and other meetings relevant to HA’s Protection activities
· Liaise with national and local authorities and leaders, NGOs and other stakeholders to ensure complementary responses and smooth implementation of HA’s Protection activities.
· Provide advice and recommendations to program managers and staff to support delivery of safe Protection programming and address protection shortcomings in each of the program management cycle; including through input into SOPs, mapping of services/assistance, strategy development, humanitarian assessment tools, program design and implementation, funding proposal.
· Provide consistent strategic protection analysis in the Iraq context regarding aspects of conflict analysis, gender, and risk management and bestow lessons from programme experience to inform programme development, implementation and policy/advocacy work.
· Ensure that project activities develop and are implemented in line with HAs mandate, policies, procedures and country strategy, which also include donors’ requirements, national and international rules and guidelines.
· Develop and ensure effective implementation of MEAL mechanisms in coordination with the MEAL team for Protection Programming.
· Prepare and maintain up to date work plans and expenditures plans, in line with project and budget documents
· Ensure that project activities develop and are implemented in line with HAs mandate, policies, procedures and country strategy, including donors’ requirements, national and international rules and guidelines.
· Capacity building: Train and strengthen HA protection teams’ capacities on tools for protection interventions through on the job accompaniment and mentoring, training and advisory support.
· Accountability: Ensure members of the team abide by the Code of Conduct, confidentiality, humanitarian principles, and international/organizational codes of practice.
· Prepare regular and timely updates and reports for the Head of Programmes, headquarters, and donors as required
· Any other reasonable duties, as assigned by the Head of Programmes.
PERSON SPECIFICATION (Education, Experience, Skills. Abilities)
· Relevant University Master’s degree or a higher qualification in Humanitarian Assistance, Development, Human Rights, Law, Social Work or Political Science
· A minimum of 4 years’ successful field-based protection experience in the humanitarian field, with a minimum 2 years in a specific Protection coordination or management role.
· Strong understanding of Protection Standards, SGBV, Key sectorial issues and processes including advocacy for protection.
· Strong conceptual and practical understanding of Protection issues and approaches in humanitarian contexts, including the constraints/risks and cultural sensitivities of work in Iraq.
· Flexibility and ability to work under pressure, manage time and priorities work to deadlines. ,
· A thorough understanding of the gender specific dynamics and protection issues of the Iraq conflict and IDP displacements.
· Well-developed organisational skills.
· Punctuality and respect for rules and procedures.
· Strong (but accommodating) Leadership skills with the ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multicultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
· Able to work independently, with minimal supervision and under pressure.
· Fluency in English.
The position will be based in Iraq, 30% in the field and 70% in the Erbil office.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/nonprofitjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.