The Translator/Reporting Associate (T/RA) provides a full range of administrative and programmatic support to IRI’s programs. The T/PA will undertake written and oral translation and interpretation in Arabic and English during meetings and other occasions as requested. S/he will also translate documents and undertake programmatic archiving, filing, printing, basic analysis and scanning of documents. S/he leads the collection, writing and qualitative description of programmatic activities (IRI and partner-led), capturing the analysis of program and MEL staff. S/he coordinates and writes programmatic highlights, success stories, ad-hoc reporting and donor RFIs as well as provides substantial inputs to the DC-based program team in the writing of quarterly reports. S/he closely monitors and analyzes political and economic developments in Iraq, including media monitoring, to contribute to analytical reporting
Program & Political Reporting
- Produce a weekly report according to donor-required deadlines, liaising with program staff to gather and analyze information.
- Produce weekly political analyses; monitor key media and government sources of information in support of program objectives.
- Contribute to the political discussions relevant to IRI’s programs and stay abreast of political developments in Iraq.
- Support the writing of quarterly donor reports, liaising with the DC-based program team and create ad-hoc evidence-based, analytic reports upon request.
- Draft programmatic and political briefing books for international trainers/visitors.
Translation & Interpretation
- Periodically verbally translate for IRI international staff or trainers through consecutive interpretation during meetings, teleconferences, trainings/conferences/workshops, field visits and/or events.
- Written translation of selected materials in English and Arabic. Proof-read, edit, and revise translated texts covering grammar, spelling and punctuation accuracy.
- Prepare external interpreters, used during larger/longer trainings/conferences/workshops, by reviewing materials, agendas and key vocabulary in advance of the events.
- Compile terminology and information to be used in translations, including technical political and civic education terms to be used in training materials.
- Interpret formal letters, PR materials, various texts, audio recordings, subtitles for videos and online presentations, social media posts, meeting notes, scripts, impact and success stories, as well as other documents as requested.
- Review and approve deliverables translated from external translators, in consultation with senior program staff.
- Undertake programmatic administrative archiving, filing, printing, scanning of documents as needed.
- Reconcile all program and travel expenses on time; keep detailed records of IRI expenditures based on IRI regulations and guidance from the operations team.
- Submit accurate timesheets on time.
- Other duties as assigned.
The T/RA reports to an assigned PM and supports the work of program staff. Program teams engage regularly with the M&E team and are responsible to coordinate all accounting, procurement and logistics with the operations team.
Qualifications & Preferred Skills
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field preferred;
- Demonstrated previous experience writing donor-focused and/or public facing reports in English required.
- At least two years’ experience working as a translator/interpreter between Arabic-English required; preference for accredited translators with demonstrable experience.
- Demonstrated experience working with US Government funded projects and familiarity with USG regulations and processes.
- Experience with program management, implementation and basic accounting required.
- Professional fluency in English and Arabic required.
- Strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel domestically as needed.
- Commitment to non-partisanship and non-sectarianism required.
How To Apply
This position will be based in Baghdad and will require periodic domestic travel, sometimes frequently. Positions are open for Iraqi nationals only.
To be considered, please email the following documents to [email protected] with the job title in the subject line:
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for 2-3 professional references
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Only finalists will be contacted.
- To help us with our recruitment effort, please indicate in your email/cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.
Established in April 1983, IRI is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth. We are headquartered in Washington D.C. with 32 field offices and over 385 staff worldwide and have been working in Iraq since 2003.
IRI is a 501(c)(3) and receives funding through grants from the U.S. State Department, U.S. Agency for International Development, the National Endowment for Democracy, a number of European foundations and aid agencies and other Western countries, and the United Nations. We do not receive any money from the Republican Party or any other U.S. partisan entity. Read more at www.iri.org.