The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The Electrical Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager.. The Electrical Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any designs assigned, supervision, commissioning and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for ensuring high quality design, documentation and site works are carried out on time and on or under budget. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Coordination and supervision of installation of the electrical services of projectsÍ¾
- Assist the project team and logistics division in procurement of electrical machineries and equipmentÍ¾
- Assist contract division in preparing and evaluation of tender documents of electrical services (specifications, BOQs, rates etc.)Í¾
- Design and produce electrical systemic drawings and scope of works;
- Review the design of electrical services of projects;
- Manage testing, commission, training and handover of electrical deliverables to clients.
Specifically, the Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Review electrical systems designs for Infrastructure projects in terms of accuracy, suitability to overall design requirements, including identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions,
- Prepare electrical drawings including plans, sections, elevations, details and other layouts as needed,
- Follow up the contractual obligation of the contractor/s on the site and secure the testing of the installed products in order to verify their quality as being an integral part of both design and manufacture.
- Strong ability in producing electrical bill of quantities to international standards of the projects proposed,
- Ability to conduct Electrical assessment of building facilities, and electromechanical systems and produce report and corresponding estimates,
- Produce Auto CAD drawings according to stipulations. And ensure high quality drawings that are accurate and that meet set deadlines,
- Review the electrical bill of quantities in terms of accuracy and content,
- Site supervision and giving direction to contractors on all related electrical issues,
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificate,
- Approve electrical submittals and advice on suitable alterations,
- Prepare estimates and prices for new project development works,
- Knowledge of design and installation of Power Generators and supporting components.
- Knowledge of Electronic Lab equipment such as, oscilloscope & spectrum Analyzer.
- Keep files for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and material on site,
- Follow contractors’ obligations of the contractors on site including inspections, testing, shop drawings review, quantity surveying.
- A Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of electrical.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable university with relevant experience in design, supervision or implementation of electrical works will be accepted in lieu of a Masters Degree.
- At least 2 years of experience in electronic lab equipment systems, electrical systems design and construction for medium to large scale construction projects in Iraq.
- Good knowledge in power distribution systems (single phase and three phase – conduit laying, wiring, installation of electrical works, fittings, etc.), lighting systems, fire alarm systems, industrial equipment control, testing and commissioning of electrical systems, and preparing of BOQs and supervision & monitoring of electrical works, with demonstrated capacity to meet performance indicators, and deliver results preferably in an international development environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly ‘AutoCAD’ is required.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Fluency in Arabic and English is required.
- Membership in the Iraqi Engineers Union with a ‘Consultant’ Degree in ‘Electric Power’ is prefered.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type: Individual Contractual Agreement (ICA)
Contract level: Local ICA Specialist 8
Contract duration: Retainer (90 days over 13 months)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Baghdad is not a Family Duty Station.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/unopsjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form by choosing the ‘others’ and filling the blank & in your cover letter) how you have heard about this vacancy (vacanciesiniraq.com)