DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
USAID Iraq Governance and Performance Accountability Project: PFM Training Consultant
Location: Location: Iraq
Job Code: 4857
SOW Title: PFM Training Consultant
Work Plan No:
- 1.2 Building the capacity of AFAD and decentralized directorates in budgeting
Date of SOW: 11/22/2019
STTA Names: Two expats to be hired
LOE: 120 days
Job Classification: International – STTA
Reporting to: PFM Lead
Estimated Start Date: On/or about 20 Jan 2020
Estimated End Date: On/or about 30 May 2020
Duty Station: Baghdad with possible travel to Erbil, Basrah
Background and Rationale
The purpose of the Iraq Governance Performance and Accountability (IGPA) project is to advance effective, accountable, and transparent governance in Iraq. This USAID effort, implemented by DAI, will work with the Government of Iraq (GOI) at all levels to better respond to citizen needs by supporting reform initiatives and Iraqi change agents on inclusive governance and public-sector transparency, accountability, and economy. ‘Reform initiatives’ includes support to improve service delivery functions, public financial management, and open government initiatives. IGPA will support the GOI and the citizens of Iraq in forming partnerships and collaborative efforts to solve problems jointly. IGPA has four (4) objectives:
- Enhance GOI service delivery capacity
2. Improve public financial management
3. Strengthen monitoring and oversight of service delivery and public expenditure
4. Support Iraqi change agents (cross-cutting objective)
IGPA also supports the fulfillment of the GOI’s commitment toward decentralization as a means toward achieving the above objectives, particularly the enhancement of the responsiveness of public services to citizens’ needs and the improvement of transparency and accountability in the use of public resources.
IGPA aims to improve public financial management at the provincial level primarily by building capacity of the Administrative Financial Affairs Directorates (AFAD) in 15 non-KRI provinces and KRI provincial finance and accounting units in specific areas such as budgeting, preparing financial statements, financial reporting, cash management, internal auditing and local revenue generation and administration. This will require a comprehensive training and development program to be developed and implemented for targeted staff in the AFADs and decentralized directorates and KRI provincial finance and accounting units. The local PFM Training and Development specialist is being engaged to assist and support an international Training and Development specialist to prepare the AFAD training and development program. The training and development program will then be implemented by the local training specialists in collaboration with the IGPA PFM embedded advisors and Ministry of Finance (MOF) staff to ensure training modules are in accordance with MOF rules and regulations and conducted in the relevant local language (Arabic for non-KRI provinces; Kurdish for KRI provinces).
Short term technical assistance (STTA) is needed to develop a comprehensive training and development program for building capacity of AFADs and decentralized directorates in 15 non-KRI provinces and the KRI provincial finance and accounting units in Erbil, Sulaimaniyah Duhok, Halbja. The comprehensive training and development program will build on the basic PFM training program delivered by IGPA/Takamul in Year 2 in focused primarily on budgeting and financial management topics. The training and development program will focus on intermediate and advanced courses in PFM specialized areas with follow up on-the-job training and mentoring and coaching through the 10 IGPA PFM Embedded Advisors. The follow up, continuous on-the-job training through the PFM advisors who will be embedded in the AFADs will help to ensure the sustainability of the training and development program to be implemented in Year 3 and thereafter.
This scope of work describes the activity that will support provincial level PFM training and follow up capacity and development activities to reinforce the knowledge and skills in specialized PFM areas learned. The expat PFM Training Consultant will report to the PFM Team Lead and support the international Training and Development Specialist who will also be engaged as an STTAs to lead and guide the effective development and implementation of a comprehensive PFM training and development program. The international STTA PFM Training consultants are PFM experts with international best practices experience with PFM reform technical assistance and training.
This scope of work is for the following activities:
- Develop a comprehensive PFM training program with intermediate and advanced modules . The international PFM Training Consultant will assist the international PFM Training and Development specialist to develop a comprehensive training PFM training program with intermediate and advanced modules in PFM specialized areas. The topics can include internal audit and internal controls, cash management, Law 21, PFM Law, accounting cycle and records for government and unified accounting systems, payroll accounting procedures, risk management to strengthen the budgeting and financial management process and procedures in the newly decentralized units. The PFM Training Consultant will assist the international Training and Development Specialist to develop the training materials to include: instructor’s manual, powerpoint presentations, case studies, working group exercises adapted for the local context. Two training and development programs will be developed for the 15 non-KRI provinces and the KRI provincial financial and accounting units to address the specific needs of the different units. The training program will ultimately be transferred to local training institutes for which IGPA/Takamul has entered into arrangements for capacity and development of those institutions to institutionalize the training delivered by IGPA
- Serve as a trainer in the train-the trainer program to train the PFM Embedded Advisors and local training specialists to deliver the training modules . The international PFM training consultant will support the international training and development specialists to conduct a train-the-trainer workshop to train the PFM embedded advisors to deliver the PFM training program. For specific courses, the PFM training consultant can work with MOF staff to assist with training the trainers on specific MOF requirements related to the various PFM topics. Additionally, for specialized PFM topics for which the PFM Training Consultant has expertise, the consultant will focus on preparing the specialized modules to leverage such expertise and experience.
- Serve as a trainer to implement the PFM training program for AFADs and decentralized directorates in the 15 non-KRI provinces and for KRI provincial financial and accounting units . The international PFM training consultant may also help the PFM embedded advisors, local training specialists to deliver the training program to the target participants in the AFADs and decentralized directorates and KRI provincial financial and accounting units. The international PFM training consultant to support the trainers (local PFM training and development specialists) through coaching, guidance and training for effective delivery of the training program. The international training consultant will provide continuous feedback and lessons learned to the trainers as the training courses are delivered and will assist in adapting the training delivery based on the continuous feedback.
The training and development program will be designed to build the required knowledge and skills in PFM for AFAD and decentralized directorates to strengthen allocation and management of resources for improved service delivery. The training and development program can be designed to also build/enhance the knowledge and skills of the PFM Embedded Advisors working in the AFAD units. This will enable the embedded advisors to continue providing on-the-job training and capacity building for the AFADs and decentralized units and KRI provincial financial and accounting units. This will reinforce the PFM specialist’s knowledge and skills learned with the assistance from the local PFM training and development specialist.
Key responsibilities of the local PFM Training Consultant are:
- Develop a detailed training plan for a comprehensive PFM training and development program
2. Prepare comprehensive training and development program materials
3. Serve as a trainer in the train-the-trainer workshops to train the PFM embedded advisors, local training specialists and MOF staff to deliver the PFM training program
4. Serve as a trainer to deliver the PFM training program for AFAD and decentralized directorate staff of 15 provinces and KRI provincial finance and accounting units for the four KRI provinces
5. Prepare final progress report highlighting achievements, lessons learned and contribution to the training and development program’s sustainability
The following deliverables will be verified by the international PFM Training and Development Specialist and PFM Lead.
- Develop the comprehensive PFM specialized training program plan
- Develop the training materials for training AFADs and provincial finance and accounting units
- Train local trainers through a train-the-trainer workshop to deliver the comprehensive training program
- Serve as a trainer to deliver the PFM specialized training program with the other local training specialists, PFM Embedded Advisors and international PFM Advisors
- Prepare weekly reports and a final progress report
- Master’s in accounting, finance, economics or a related subject. PhD preferred.
- 15 – 20 years of experience PFM reform advisory work and providing technical assistance and training in related PFM training topics
- Proven knowledge of PFM topics and a track record of successful implementation of training programs for government counterparts
- Strong writing, training, communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to interact with senior management and GOI government officials and IGPA project staff
- Experience working in complex, dynamic environments, particularly post-conflict environments
- Willingness to travel to Iraqi governates
Estimated LOE and Timing
Estimated LOE of 120 days. Timing for STTA consultancy is January 2020 – May 2020
The PFM Training Consultant’s work will primarily be conducted in the Baghdad IGPA office with potential visits to provinces and delivery of training program in Erbil and other provinces. The PFM Training Consultant will work closely with the PFM Embedded Advisors to be trained to deliver the PFM comprehensive training program with MOF staff under the coaching and guidance of an international training and development
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/iraqjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.