DAI is an international development company. For more than 45 years, we have worked on the frontlines of international development, tackling fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Currently, DAI is delivering results that matter in some 80 countries. Our development solutions turn ideas into impact by bringing together fresh combinations of expertise and innovation across multiple disciplines. Our clients include international development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.
USAID Iraq Governance and Performance Accountability Project: Training and Development Specialist
Location: Location: Iraq
Job Code: 4858
SOW Title: Training and Development Specialist
Work Plan No:
- 1.2 Building the capacity of AFAD and decentralized directorates in budgeting
Date of SOW: 11/22/2019
STTA Names: TBD
LOE: 120 days
Job Classification: International
Reporting to: PFM Lead
Estimated Start Date: On/or about 6 Jan 2020
Estimated End Date: On/or about 30 May 2020
Duty Station: Baghdad with possible travel to Erbil and Basrah
Background and Rationale
The purpose of the Iraq Governance Performance and Accountability (IGPA) project is to advance effective, accountable, and transparent governance in Iraq. This USAID effort, implemented by DAI, will work with the Government of Iraq (GOI) at all levels to better respond to citizen needs by supporting reform initiatives and Iraqi change agents on inclusive governance and public-sector transparency, accountability, and economy. ‘Reform initiatives’ includes support to improve service delivery functions, public financial management, and open government initiatives. IGPA will support the GOI and the citizens of Iraq in forming partnerships and collaborative efforts to solve problems jointly. IGPA has four (4) objectives:
- Enhance GOI service delivery capacity
2. Improve public financial management
3. Strengthen monitoring and oversight of service delivery and public expenditure
4. Support Iraqi change agents (cross-cutting objective)
IGPA also supports the fulfillment of the GOI’s commitment toward decentralization as a means toward achieving the above objectives, particularly the enhancement of the responsiveness of public services to citizens’ needs and the improvement of transparency and accountability in the use of public resources.
IGPA aims to improve public financial management at the provincial level primarily by building capacity of the Administrative Financial Affairs Directorates (AFAD) in 15 non-KRI provinces and KRI provincial finance and accounting units in specific areas such as budgeting, preparing financial statements, financial reporting, cash management, internal auditing and local revenue generation and administration.This will require a comprehensive training and development program to be developed and implemented for targeted staff in the AFADs and decentralized directorates and KRI provincial finance and accounting units.The international Training and Development specialist is being engaged to prepare the AFAD training and development program with two local training specialists.The training and development program will then be implemented by the training specialists in collaboration with the IGPA PFM embedded advisors and Ministry of Finance (MOF) staff to ensure training modules are in accordance with MOF rules and regulations.
Short term technical assistance (STTA) is needed to develop a comprehensive training and development program for building capacity of AFADs and decentralized directorates in 15 non-KRI provinces and the KRI provincial finance and accounting units. The comprehensive training and development program will build on the basic PFM training program delivered by the IGPA contractor EY in Year 2 in budgeting and financial management. The training and development program will focus on intermediate and advanced courses in PFM specialized areas with follow up on-the-job training and mentoring and coaching through the 10 PFM Embedded Advisors. The follow up, continuous on-the-job training through the PFM advisors who will be embedded in the AFADs will help to ensure the sustainability of the training and development program to be implemented in Year 3 and thereafter.
This scope of work describes the activity that will support provincial level PFM training and follow up capacity and development activities to reinforce the knowledge and skills in specialized PFM areas learned. The Training and Development Specialist will report to the PFM Team Lead and collaborate with two local Training Specialists who will also be engaged as STTAs and subject matter experts engaged on the IGPA project as international PFM Advisors.
This scope of work is for the following activities:
- Develop comprehensive PFM training program with intermediate and advanced modules . The Training and Development Specialist will develop a comprehensive training PFM training program with intermediate and advanced modules in PFM specialized areas. The topics can include internal audit and internal controls, cash management, Law 21 and PFM Law, accounting cycle and records, payroll accounting procedures, risk management to strengthen the budget execution process and procedures in the newly decentralized units. The Training and Development Specialist will develop the training materials to include: instructor’s manual, powerpoint presentations, case studies, working group exercises and adapted for the local context. Two training and development programs will be developed for the 15 non-KRI provinces and the KRI provincial financial and accounting units to address the specific needs of the different units. The training program will ultimately be transferred to local training institutes for which IGPA/Takamul has entered into arrangements for capacity and development of those institutions to institutionalize the training delivered by IGPA
- C onduct a train-the trainer program to train the local training Subject Matter Expert specialists and PFM Embedded Advisors to deliver the training modules . The training and development specialist will train the local training specialists and PFM Embedded Advisors to deliver the training program for the targeted participants. For specific courses, the MOF staff can participate to assist with training participants on specific MOF requirements related to the various PFM topics. Additionally, for specialized PFM topics the training and development specialist can leverage the expatriate PFM advisors providing PFM technical assistance in the Ministry of Finance and Ministry of Planning and other subject matter experts as needed.
- Rollout the PFM training program for AFADs and decentralized directorates in the 15 non-KRI provinces and for KRI provincial financial and accounting units . The PFM embedded advisors, local training specialists and SMEs will then deliver the training program to the target participants in the AFADs and decentralized directorates and KRI provincial financial and accounting units. The training and development specialist will guide the trainers and assist with facilitating the actual delivery of the training. The training and development specialist will provide feedback and lessons learned for the trainers as the training courses are delivered. The materials may be revised and adjusted based on the initial delivery of training modules and feedback and lessons learned from the participants and the training and development specialist.
The training and development program will be designed to build the required knowledge and skills in PFM for AFAD and decentralized directorates to strengthen allocation and management of resources for improved service delivery.The training and development program can be designed to also build/enhance the knowledge and skills of the PFM Embedded Advisors to be able to continue on-the-job training and capacity building for the AFADs and decentralize units and KRI provincial financial and accounting units to reinforce the PFM specialist knowledge and skills learned.
Key responsibilities of the Training and Development Specialist are:
- Develop detailed training plan for a comprehensive PFM training and development program
- Prepare comprehensive training and development program materials
- Conduct train-the-trainer workshops to train local training specialists and PFM embedded advisors with MOF to deliver the PFM training program
- Support the trainers to conduct/facilitate the PFM training program for AFAD and decentralized directorate staff of 15 provinces and KRI provincial finance and accounting unit
- Prepare final progress report highlighting achievements, lessons learned and a plan for the training and development program’s sustainability
- Comprehensive PFM specialized training program plan
- Training materials for train-the-trainers training and training AFADs and provincial finance and accounting units
- Conduct the train-the-trainer workshop to prepare trainers to deliver the comprehensive training program
- Support the delivery of the PFM specialized training program by the local training specialists, PFM Embedded Advisors and international PFM Advisors
- Prepare weekly reports and final progress reports
- BS, BA and 25 years of experience or Master’s and 20 years’ relevant experience.
- Proven experience in preparation of training and development program for government counterparts preferably in PFM and related topics
- Proven knowledge of PFM topics and a track record of successful implementation of training and development programs for government counterparts
- Strong writing, training, communication and facilitation skills
- Ability to interact with senior management and GOI government officials and IGPA project staff
- Experience working in post-conflict, developing country environments preferably Iraq or similar country experience
- Willingness to travel to Iraqi governates
Estimated LOE and Timing
Estimated LOE of 120 days. Timing for STTA consultancy is January – May 2020
The Training and Development Specialist’s work will primarily be conducted in the Baghdad IGPA office with potential visits to provinces.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/iraqjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify (on the application form & in your cover letter where (vacanciesiniraq.com) you saw this job posting.