ICRC’s Iraq Mission legacy, click here for more information
EXTERNAL / INTERNAL
VACANCY: Public Relations Officer
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral and independent international humanitarian organisation, which assists and protects victims of armed conflicts and other situations of violence. The ICRC is currently looking for staff for its operations in Iraq.
- By joining our organization, you will have an opportunity to practise your profession in stimulating, complex, and sometimes challenging environments, where your work can make a difference.
- You will work with colleagues from various fields of expertise in a cross-cutting manner to help victims of conflict and other situations of violence. You will be dealing with humanitarian situations that require experience, resourcefulness, and innovation to achieve the best possible impact.
- You will work for the oldest major international humanitarian organization in the world, adding to your sense of achievement in alleviating the suffering of people and communities and giving you the chance to promote humanitarian values in these turbulent times
- You will benefit from a competitive employment package, including different possibilities for career and personal development. You will take part in an onboarding course and follow continuous training, to build your career within the ICRC and beyond.
- The competitive compensation package, a monthly salary with benefits including (13th salary, end of service indemnity, medical coverage, life insurance, a mobility allowance, and social security scheme).
Job Title: Public Relations Officer
Duty Station: Iraq – Baghdad
Reports to: Communication Coordinator
Duration of Contract: One-year fixed term contract (with the possibility of renewal to an open-ended contract where performance and competencies are key to be selected for further contractual continuity)
Date of Issue: 31 March 2021
Deadline for applications: 15 April 2021
The Communications department is responsible for defining and implementing strategic communications, managing public and media relations, promoting international humanitarian law to governmental and non-governmental entities, armed forces, academic circles, Red Crescent societies, and fostering support for humanitarian issues and the ICRC’s activities with a wide range of stakeholders.
The Media Relations Officer & Spokesperson is the focal point for all public communication activities in the delegation, in coordination with the management and the Communication Coordinator. S/he leads in defining the delegation’s messages and content-generation planning to enhance and manage the delegation’s profile in the media and through public channels. S/he advises the delegation on public communication issues, opportunities, and challenges and contributes to implementing the public engagement and digital strategies.
- Develop and contributes to communication campaigns, media relations strategies, and tools to raise awareness about humanitarian issues
- Prepare, write and distribute press releases, leaflets, brochures, social media materials and organize Communication/ PR events (e.g. roundtables with media, press conferences, events, tours with media in the field).
- Acts as a spokesperson for Iraqi, Arabic-speaking, and international media.
- Contributes to the implementation of training programs for local journalists on IHL, humanitarian principles, and RC/RC Movement’s work in Iraq with the goal of networking and increasing coverage.
- Organizes and manages media events and field trips when required and feasible.
- Plan, produce, and publishes content for digital platforms managed by the delegation and coaches Communication staff across all sites in content generation.
- Analyses the public communication environment for the humanitarian domain and other relevant issues related to ICRC Iraq.
- Assumes responsibility for the Iraq Communication department during the absence of the Communication Coordinator, ensuring continuity across files.
Education and Professional Experience required:
- University degree in a relevant discipline such as political science, international relations, journalism, communication management, or public relations.
- At least 5 years of work experience in a field relevant to communication.
- Professional experience with digital communication tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Arabic.
- Excellent public communication skills and sound knowledge of the media environment.
- Experience of a high level of public exposure and working in stressful situations under tight deadlines.
- Advanced computer skills (competence in MS Office and other software); mastery of digital communication tools.
- ICRC experience is an asset.
How to Apply:
- All qualified and interested candidates should forward their applications with a detailed updated Curriculum Vitae (CV) indicating email and phone contacts with a minimum of two professional references, a cover letter stating why you think you have the necessary skills and qualifications for the said job opportunity and your salary expectations. Marked to ([email protected]) with the subject line: SURNAME First Name/ Vacancy title.
Applications will only be accepted with valid residency and work permits in Iraq.
The successful candidate will undergo a three months’ probation period.
NB: If you have not heard from us within a month of receiving your application, please consider your application unsuccessful.
ICRC DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS INCLUDING (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, OR PROCESSING).