Based in Iraq or the immediate region, the Senior Analyst will undertake research and draft reports and other forms of shorter publications which examine and propose solutions to prevent or mitigate deadly conflict in and over Iraq, including consideration of security, political, legal, governance, human rights and social issues.
- Conducts extensive field research into prevailing issues in Iraq, including – where relevant – consideration of security, geopolitical, political, legal, economic and social issues as well as human rights, gender and governance;
- Provides written analyses – in clear and concise fashion – of the risks and origins of deadly conflict in or over Iraq in the form of detailed reports and briefing papers for publication as well as shorter derivatives (such as podcasts and op-eds);
- Proposes policy recommendations and initiatives for conflict actors including political, civil society and other stakeholders at the national as well as regional and international levels aimed at preventing, mitigating or resolving deadly conflict;
- Advocates Crisis Group policy positions and recommendations regarding conflict and represents Crisis Group at events and in the media – locally, nationally and internationally as appropriate;
- Provide support to the MENA Program and Deputy Program Directors for Crisis Group activities and advocacy in the region and globally;
- As required, supervise research assistants, consultants, stringers and/or interns.
- Post-graduate qualification in international relations, political science, social sciences or other relevant field of academic study;
- At least seven years of professional experience in the field of conflict research, analysis and prevention, working in government, academia, international organisations, non-governmental organisations or the media;
- Demonstrated excellent English writing skills and strong spoken and reading Arabic, and Kurdish a plus;
- Strong research and analytical skills, and proven experience of formulating persuasive policy recommendations;
- Extensive knowledge of Iraq’s security and public policy issues, and experience of living and working in the region;
- A network of governmental and non-governmental, official, media and civil society contacts in the region;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including public presentation skills;
- Experience of working successfully within a team as well as the ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
If interested, please apply by December 15.
- To apply please follow this link https://vacanciesiniraq.com/thinktankjobs
- To help us track our recruitment effort, please specify in your application (on the application form & in your cover letter how (vacanciesiniraq.com) you learned about this vacancy.